Thursday, September 11, 2008

Where were you?

I can't believe it has been 7 years since the 9/11 attack. I can still remember that day so clearly. I was working at the YMCA in Raleigh, NC. Richard had stopped by to drop the kids off for preschool and as he was leaving one of my coworker said "My son just called and said a plane has crashed into the World Trade Center." I ran to tell Richard. We, of course, thought it was some kind of horrible accident. By the time I got back into the office the other plane had hit as well. Again I thought maybe the smoke from the first crash had somehow caused the second. It wasn't until I went downstairs to the fitness room (where they have a gazillion TV's) and saw for myself the footage of the crash that I realized not only was this done on purpose, but my life and the lives of everyone in this country had changed forever. I know I thought that nothing like this could ever happen here. No one got any work done that day. I stood watching the TV for what seemed like hours. I went and got the kids out of preschool and took them home and held them. One of the girls at the "Y" had a father that worked at the Pentagon. He was okay. One of my quilting buddies has a husband who is pretty high up in the Pentagon. She didn't hear from him for over 24 hours ~ fortunately he was okay too. My heart broke and still breaks over how many families were torn apart that day. Just thinking of those little children who waited for their parents to pick them up ~ but they never came. All the policemen and firemen who risked and lost their lives to save others are the real heroes in this world.
I still have a hard time watching the footage of the towers coming down although at the time, I couldn't not watch. It was as if I watched it enough, it would make sense. It never did. I know we are not a perfect country. We have our problems ~ and they are serious ones... but that day.. that time... we came together. We helped each other and took care of each other. We told the people we loved just how much they mean to us. Let's not loose that lesson. Don't take anyone for granted. Who knows what tomorrow brings. Do something nice today for a total stranger ~ help someone who truly needs it... and remember to tell your family and friends just how much you care about them.


2 comments:

jillytacy said...

What a nice post! I think you summed it up perfectly! You learned the lesson and haven't forgotten. I hope others did too!

Miss Healthypants said...

Barb, this is beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

I have not forgotten, either. I remember I called in sick to work that day--and I was so glad I had. Iwanski rushed home to be with me. I was sooo afraid.

My heart goes out today and always to the victims' families.