Sunday, December 14, 2008

Christmas has been called off...

For years ~ every year ~ I called off Christmas. I always brought it back again but not until I was satisfied that all parties involved truly appreciated Christmas and all that it meant. I always hate the greed involved "I want this" and "I want that" plus as the person mostly responsible for making Christmas happen, I really wanted/needed a bit of help here and there. Now, don't take this the wrong way, Richard and Jen did their part most of the time. Well, Jen did. Richard, not so much a Christmas person although he is MUCH better these days. Jen was still young and just wanted to do the "fun" part. Making cookies, while I cleaned up. Wanted the tree up but hated to go through all the mess of putting it up (decorating it). Making sure the house was cleaned before we decorated. And then there was the spending of all the money...
And part of it was me too. I can get stressed fairly easily and every year I got pushed to the point where I'd call off Christmas ~ at least for a day or two. We kid about it now and I haven't called off Christmas in years...
UNTIL THIS YEAR!
The kids are getting bigger, the "I wants" are getting more expensive, decorating the tree is not so much fun, and they are fighting like cats and dogs. I reminded them that their dad and I are decided on what/how much to get them for Christmas and with every argument, fight, punch thrown, etc... we are less inclined to buy them gifts. That actually didn't work so I called off Christmas last night ~ in the middle of Christmas shopping, mind you. It didn't last long and wasn't nearly as dramatic as it's been in the past but it worked. They are actually getting along (for now) and Nate even gave his little sister (who worships him and drives him nuts simultaneously)one of his prized Bakugon! Who'd have thought? I even have proof
DSCN0795
DSCN0796
Actual cooperation between the two of them! Of course they were looking for things to add to their Amazon wish list on line ~ but I'm hopeful... After all, isn't it the season of hope?

4 comments:

Monnik said...

Oh man. I know the feeling of wanting to call off Christmas. I love that they're cooperating at the moment, that's a start, right? :)

Miss Healthypants said...

Glad you're teaching your kids the true meaning of Christmas...hope you don't have to reteach it again (and call off Christmas again) before the holiday! *smiles*

Sandra :) said...

I feel your pain - I hope it sunk in for them, and they'll remember without you having to take drastic action! I've cancelled it a few times in my house too, until they got the message. My husband's family never really celebrated "special occasions" so it's a struggle every year. ARGH! LOL!

Jennifer said...

Ahh yes... No one is safe from the wrath of mom at Christmas!