Friday, December 5, 2008

And they said it would never last...



Today is mine and Richard's 21st and 22nd anniversary! How can that be? Well it's 21 years today since we were married and 22 years today from our first date. Yep, we got married one year to the day from our first date. Sounds kinda like we rushed into it but in reality we had known each other for over a year before we actually dated. We had become really good friends first and I think that's a big part of why we are still together. He's still my best friend.
We met when my boss at the time called one of our customers who taught at a local college and asked him if he could recommend someone to write a computer program for us. He sent over this cute young blonde. I can still remember the first time I met Richard. He was wearing jeans that were torn at the knee (they were all the rage at the time) and a light pink button down shirt. It wasn't love at first site but I remember thinking how cool was this guy. I also felt sorry for him cause he had no idea the craziness he had just gotten himself into. My poor boss drove him crazy and didn't pay him nearly what he deserved. He stuck around for over a year, first with the program and then into computer sales.
Even after he got a "real" job he continued to come around sometimes leaving me notes on my desk or coming over for lunch. He was young (23/24) and hoping someday to settle down. I was (28/29) divorced with a child and swearing to NEVER marry again. I was single and having a blast. My ex had Jen on the weekends and I went out on Friday nights and didn't resurface until Sunday morning when it was time to be Mommie again. Needless to say, he changed my life and in someways saved it and I am forever grateful to him, the love of my life.


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a lovely love story. Thanks Barb for posting that. Some things are meant to be! Congratulations and Happy Anniversary.

mom23boys said...

I've never seen this picture before. Richard with lots of hair! And Jennifer is so sweet. Congratulations to both of you. Tell Richard I said "Hi".

Miss Healthypants said...

That's so lovely...

Happy Anniversary, you crazy kids!! :)

Anna said...

congrats!! love the picture, especially cute little jen!!

Karen said...

Great story! and CONGRATS to you both!

Br. Jonathan said...

Stop it. You're going to make me cry. . .

jillytacy said...

Congratulations! You make a wonderful couple! Happy Anniversary, may you have many more happy years together!
I love the pictures!