Thursday, November 20, 2008

A beginning, an ending and some stuff in between

So Girl Scouts is finally underway. We've had a couple of meetings getting to know each other and at this weeks meeting we had our official "sash" ceremony. Girl scouts are no longer required to wear an official uniform ~ It's basically khaki shorts or pants and a white shirt ~ but they are required to wear either an official sash or vest. Our troop has decided to go with the sashes. There are several patches that are required for the sash. The american flag, the girl scout emblem, the troup council and the troup number. So, our leaders decided we (and by we I mean I) should sew all the patches on as per the official sash template before we give them to the girls and then have a sash ceremony.DSC04597 These are six of the eight girls in our troop and in case anyone is counting that's 56 patches they wanted me to sew on. Now, my friend Sue in Jacksonville paid someone at the dry cleaners to do the badges for her son in boyscouts and they charged $5.00 a piece. Man that would have been some sweet money. Unfortunately I was asked to "volunteer" and I'm such a sucker I said yes. Now in all fairness it was asked as "do you think you could help sewing on the badges?" Of course, I can help till the box with the sashes and badges came and it was all sent home to me! YIKES. Fortunately they were all iron on's and thats just what I did. Still took me hours because you have to iron the sash to heat it up, place the badge down and press it for a certain amount of time, turn it over and press again for twice the time and then flip it back over and go over the edges one more time! I think I still want the $5 per badge! Anyway.. enough of that rant.
Soccer season has ended and we all got together on Monday night for a "farewell" party. We met at Pizza Hut and it was a lot of fun. I'm really going to miss the kids, the coaches and the other parents. I made a scrap book for the coach that really turned out cute and he was really happy. He said he felt closer to this team than any other team he has coached and I know they are supposed to say stuff like that but I think he really meant it. It was a great group of kids and there were no issues with any of them. They all got along, and played their hardest. The parents all bonded as well. Unfortunately the picture I took of all of them came out really blurry ~ sorry! DSC04568

As for the stuff in between, we were at Home Depot the other day and I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this... DSC04567
It's a tool box. It's a tool box with a built in stereo. It's a tool box with a built in stereo AND refrigerator! It's a tool box that costs almost $1700! I think for that price it should come with the tools. I guess I really shouldn't be surprised at this and as for the price tag, compared to the newest Bernina sewing/embroidery machine on the market for $12,000 I guess it's not too bad. Someone at the shop asked me if I was going to get the new machine. I told them for $12,000 it needs to drive me to the shop!
Also we received some more yummy food compliments of my mother in law (thanks Ginky!). This time it was fillets wrapped in bacon. They came yesterday and we will probably have some for dinner tonight. I'll let you know how they are. Nathaniel gets excited because they come in a container with dry ice and he loves to play with it. We put it in a bowl of water and watch it smoke and bubble and once he's bored with that he put a bit of dish soap in it. Talk about bubbling over. DSC04611 I'm not sure if you can see the smoke in the picture and please ignor the dirty dishes in the sink!
Also Julianne was home sick yesterday. I took her to the drs and she has strep! Poor little thing is feeling miserable. DSC04617 Not sure why she has her brothers quilt but if it makes her feel better, I'm okay with it. Daddy is staying home with her today since I have to work at the shop and he can work from home today. Jen probably also has strep. She's actually been sick for a few days and sounds horrible. She will get herself checked for strep today and I'll bet it'll come up positive too. My poor girls.

Well I'm off and running...


6 comments:

Sandra :) said...

Be careful you don't get strep too! Hopefully J & J will be better soon :)

Nice of you to "help" with the sashes - good thing it's a small group, yikes!

LOL @ the "Tim Taylor" tool box!

Br. Jonathan said...

You are one superfantastic mom!

I was in cub scouts and hated it. I lasted one whole week and quit.

Monnik said...

aw, that's such a sad little picture of Julianne!

I can't believe you're doing the patches for the whole group! You are way too nice. Those other moms should be able to fire up their irons and do their own, but you know they'll look awesome with you doing it.

Julie H said...

Poor kiddo! I used to charge parents $1 a badge. Also used that clear thread so didn't have to change colors :O)

Miss Healthypants said...

I remember wanting to have EVERY badge in Girl Scouts--of course, I really didn't want to work for them! *grin*

Also, I can't BELIEVE there's a tool box with a built in stereo and refrigerator!--this is what's wrong with America. *hee hee*

mom23boys said...

The tool box is like the Ipod jack I saw on something totally unrelated today. - Like a blender (but not). Oh well, build it and they will buy.

I laughed about the badges. I know, not nice. But I think I may have had to say something along the lines of "Oh, I can sew ANYTHING... I don't iron, though. Sorry." No, I would've been the sucker... er... volunteer slaving over the iron, too.