Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Chicken Spaghetti ala The Pioneer Woman

So I attempted my first Pioneer Woman recipe today. For a cost of just about $20.00 I was able to feed the 4 of us plus have left overs for forever. I forget that she cooks for a zillion people. I was able to fill my biggest casserole dish and put a tub away for another time. The recipe is on page 130 of her cook book in case you care to follow along...
Here are my during pictures...
DSC08830 DSC08831 DSC08832 DSC08833
And the final result...DSC08836
 And the review from the kids...
DSC08837
It was a lot more work than I am used to... being super busy during the week, I look for quick and easy recipes. It took me about 2 hrs prep time to make this dish ~ and then another 40 minutes in the oven.
Will I make it again? Yes, it was a big hit.

Was it worth it? Yes, but I think next time I'll save myself some work and either cook boneless/skinless chicken which is what I normally do or buy a precooked chicken from the grocery store. It's about the same price and always tastes yummy.

I actually made dessert last night as well. DSC08839 It is warm spiced peaches and bananas DSC08838 over vanilla ice cream in a shortcake shell. DSC08842
Richard and Nate really liked it. Julianne doesn't eat peaches ~ go figure. I do have a recipe to make the spiced peaches from scratch but I cheated with the jar ones. Really, just as good and saved me a ton of work.

Next up... Ree's famous cinnamon rolls. I can do all the prep on a Saturday night and bake em up for Sunday morning. Wish me luck.


3 comments:

Sandra :) said...

I love Ree (Pioneer Woman) - she's such a hoot, and her recipes always look (and taste!) fantastic! Last night I made the Chocolate Cobbler she just blogged about (http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/05/a-tasty-recipe-grannys-chocolate-cobbler/) - I didn't have any because of my diet, and everybody else was so late getting home that I don't think anybody had any - it's still in the fridge! They can have it tonight :D

2 hours prep time for a dinner, tho? OUCH! I don't even want to do 2 hours prep for Thanksgiving, let alone for a regular weeknight dinner! Good thing it got the thumbs up from the kids - I would definitely trim prep time with boneless skinless breasts - they're a kitchen staple here. The dessert looks delicious as well!

Melissa said...

I am glad the Chicken Spaghetti was good - it looks delicious! I can't wait to hear about the cinnamon rolls - that is the one recipe I am DYING to try!

Julie H said...

2 hour prep is nuts!! I'll take the short cut version ;O)