Wednesday, June 10, 2009

In remembrance


It was a year ago today that we lost Angie. For the most part, I'm trying for a "normal" day for the kids. In some ways I am still in shock over this ~ still can't believe it's true. Some days it's easy not to remember since we didn't see her all that often, other days it's still very raw and painful.
We've been talking about Angie a lot more lately, I guess this day has been on all our minds. Two days ago, I was sorting through the kids clothes ~ getting rid of those that no longer fit. As I folded Nate's stuff I ran across a sweater that Angie had given him the Christmas before last I guess it was. He had only worn it once (he's not much of a sweater boy) and I don't think we ever washed it. As I was folding it, I caught a whiff of something very familiar. It was Angie's scent. She always wore the same perfume ~ something by Victoria's Secret... and just a very slight hint of cigarette smoke. Not that nasty overwhelming smell, just a hint mixed in with the perfume. I buried my face into the sweater and breathed in deep ~ over and over as I sat and cried. Julianne noticed and asked what was wrong. I handed her the sweater. She smelled it too, and began to cry. We handed the sweater to Nate. He took the sweater, breathed it in and smiled, a smile that broke my heart. Both kids came and sat with me and we all hugged for a very long time.

7 comments:

Karen said...

Lovely bittersweet memory, then and now. Hugs for you all.

lesthook said...

I have teary eyes. A smell can bring back so many memories.

Monnik said...

What a wonderful moment to share with your kids. Smells are amazing memory triggers.

I was just thinking about you guys the other day. I figured it must be getting close to the time of year that the accident happened.

((Hugs)) to you and your family.

BitnByAQuiltingBug said...

You're in my thoughts today!

Julie H said...

Put the sweater in a zip lock bag! ((hugs))

Miss Healthypants said...

What a beautiful, sad moment...

She'll always be alive in your memories of her. :)

Judy said...

It was a hard day for us all it seems. Angie's friend, Kelli, came to see me and we went out for dinner. I wish we would have just stayed home. It's hard to talk about her in a restaurant without crying. We got through dinner just trying to hold it together. On the way back, she gave me a frog pin she'd found in a gift shop somewhere. I try my best to talk to her spirit and tell her how much she is loved, then, now, and forever. Her memory is precious to a lot of people.

Grandma Judy