Tuesday, December 27, 2011

A Christmas Tradition

Now that my kids are older and no longer believe in the Jolly Man in Red we put the presents under the tree as they are purchased and wrapped which I prefer rather than having to hide them and putting them out Christmas eve. This has caused some problems though. Curious kids want to touch the presents and try to figure out what's in the packages.

First of all I try to "disguise" their gifties. Video games fit nicely in clothes boxes stuffed with tissue paper and clothes are hiding in shoe boxes, etc. This didn't really stop them though, from shaking gifts and figuring out what's what.

I think I've may have written about this before but for the last few years I have given them all "code" names. The first year I did this they were all given potato names.... Curly fried, Tater Tots, Potato pancake, etc. It has worked like a charm. No one knows who's is who's AND there is no comparing who has more gifts under the tree. I think next year we may do names from "Clue." There is really no end to the names you could come up with. Maybe types of dogs or circus animals... See where I'm going with this?

This year I gave them all candy names. Tootie Roll, Peanut Butter Cups, Snickers and Bit O' Honey. I also added a new element this year. I bought each of those candies and put them on the table. They had to pick which one they thought they were and then find all those presents labeled with their name. Once that was done I then handed out the candy to the correct recipient and it was a bit of musical chairs to find their proper pile of gifts. It added a bit more fun to opening gifts and I think I will do it again next year.

I hope you all had a wonderful Holiday, which ever one you celebrate. I'd love to hear about your traditions. I may just have to steal some of them!

4 comments:

Julie H said...

This year mine were all regular names like Frank, Charles, Cindy etc. Each present had it's own name. I made sure to put my "key" where I'd remember it lol

MaryAnn said...

Was Richard Bit O Honey?

Regina said...

How fun! I remember once growing up when Mom underlined our names on some packages - those were NOT to be opened until last - and then all the underlined ones got moved to my sister's pile - it was her big stereo - and the only way Mom could disguise the components without her guessing. We were all in on it - it was great fun.

Carolyn said...

What a great idea! I wish I'd thought of it before my kids were adults. Although, this year, we didn't put anything under the tree until the last minute so the dog wouldn't eat any presents! Our new thing is going to be Christmas crackers. We had them a few years ago, but didn't get them again until this year. I think they were the most fun part of our Christmas day. (The gift unwrapping is done on Christmas eve). I wish you a happy, healthy new year, Barb!