Monday, May 2, 2011

The Death of Osama Bin Laden


It's obviously a big day in not only the history of the United States but of the world. I'm not even sure I can express all the emotions I am feeling, never mind those of a nation.
I personally did not know anyone whose life was lost on 9/11. I don't even really know anyone who lost someone close. Did that make any difference on how I felt, and still feel about the events on 9/11? To be honest, I'd have to say yes.

Needless to say, it is a day I will remember for the rest of my life and I was devastated. My world, our world would never be the same. I grieved and I cried for all those lost and for the families of those lost. I held my family closer and I became a bit more patriotic. But I can't even begin to imagine how much worse it was for those who experienced the loss on such a personal basis.

I think a quote I've been reading on Facebook expresses it well. "I've never wished a man dead, but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure" - Mark Twain

Is it over? Not even close. There are still those who are losing their lives every day. Our men and women of the military have my eternal gratitude. And I can't help but feel for those innocent civilians whose lives have also been lost in a war I can't completely agree with.


I think there are more bad times ahead. There will be retaliation I'm sure. There will be more lives lost both here and overseas. I don't pretend to have answers but I do believe in our president. I trust and I pray he will do what is best for us. In the mean time, I will continue to hold my friends close and my family closer. I will not take for granted the freedoms we enjoy here. I will be proud to be an American. I will continue to thank our men and women of the military when I see them as well as their families who sacrifice just as much for us.

Today I will celebrate our victory. Tomorrow I will pray for peace.

4 comments:

Sandra :) said...

I can't say I'm sad that OBL is dead, but I'm scared about retaliation - I hope and pray for the best. Hells bells my fingers and eyes and toes are crossed!

jbcwriter said...

Well said.

Monnik said...

I like that quote by Mark Twain. I also heard someone refer to it this way:

I'm not necessarily rejoicing in his death, but it certainly brings a sense of relief, similar to putting down a rabid dog.

jillytacy said...

Very well said! I like that quote.