Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Playing Hookie


So today while I should have been straightening up the house, or doing laundry, or getting some sewing done, I played hookie and went to the movies. Just me ~ all by myself. I've never gone to the movies by myself but I have to say, it was kinda nice. I didn't have to argue with kids about which candy to buy (didn't get any), didn't have to take someone to the bathroom in the middle of the movie.. It's been many years since I could do that... so, the kids were in school, Richard was at work and I went to see "Water For Elephants."

It was a pretty good movie. The book, of course was much better but all in all they did a decent job of it. They cut out a lot of the violence which I guess is good but almost necessary to the story. Also I think Robert Pattinson and Reese Witherspoon did a fabulous job EXCEPT ~ there was not a lot of chemistry between them.  The relationship between Jacob and Marlena was pretty intense in the book. With movies so much is skimmed over, the relationship didn't have much time to develop.  Although come to think of it, he really doesn't have much chemistry with Kristen Stewart in the Twilight saga and he's actually married to her.    Don't get me wrong I LOVE the Twilight series ~ both books and movies..... but let's face it, there really isn't a lot of sizzle (at least so far) between Edward and Bella.  I'm hoping that will change with the next two movies.. Anyway... Water For Elephants... good movie ~ worth seeing.  I give it an 8 out of 10!


Speaking of movies... Julz and I went to see a local high school production of Godspell.  They did a surprisingly good job of it but it made me want to see the movie again.  Richard was sweet enough to order it for me off Netflix.     Having modern technology I was able to look up the actors/actresses in the movie to see what they are doing now.  More than a few are no longer alive including Lynne Thigpen who I really liked ~ and she was the Chief in "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?"

The biggest surprise though was the actor that played Jesus......anyone recognize him? Maybe you'll recognize a more recent pic...

Yep ~ Victor Garber! Who knew!

3 comments:

Sandra :) said...

I think Reese is a delightful, classy lady - but that Robert Pattinson - I'll pass, thank you, lol. Not my cup of tea! As usual I'll wait for the movie to come out on DVD - there are so few that I'm willing to pay big bucks to see - movie theatres are really kicking themselves in the behind with their disgusting prices. I'll be the first one in line to see Ghost Busters 3 and MIB 3, though, LOL!!

jillytacy said...

I'll have to add the book to my must read list. I think going to the movies by yourself sounds wonderful I'll have to try it sometime.

jbcwriter said...

Oh my gosh! I can't believe that was him! I've watched Godspell so many times and never figured that out!